Yep, I’ve been absent around here because last Wednesday, I had that old gallbladder yanked out…and although recovery has been quite the adventure, the surgery was completely worth it! If you’ve ever had a middle-of-the-night gallbladder attack, you’d know that it’s something no one should ever have to experience. Ever.
Anyhow, other than having all four wisdom teeth removed years ago, this is the only surgery I’ve ever had.
Surgery is an adventure…and so is recovery! But, again, worth every sore minute.
So-here’s what I’ve learned:
1. Nurses. Are. Awesome. They are encouraging, patient, sweet, and VERY good at their jobs. I would say that behind every good doctor, there are teams of nurses making his job easier. And probably not getting paid what they deserve.
2. My Mimi’s classic vegetable soup is the best recover food ever. Literally nothing but veggies, all warm and yummy. It’s even best when she makes it for you. 🙂
3. Pain killers make you forget things.
4. Post-anesthesia, in the recovery area, “wake” and “sleep” are pretty much the same thing and I can fluctuate between the two like it’s my job!
5. Pain killers make you forget things. 🙂
6. All ginger ale is not created equal. Hospital ginger ale (a.k.a. Schweppes – blech) is not the Canada Dry that I’m used to.
7. All saltines are not created equal. Hospital saltines (a.k.a. Keebler Zesta – blech) are not the Nabisco Original Premiums that I’m used to.
8. I’m just a tad picky about my ginger ale and saltines.
9. I’ve taken for granted what little muscle strength I have had in my core. Abdominal surgery will shoot that to heck!
10. As much soreness as I’ve experienced in the last week, I would have this surgery all over again if it meant never having gallbladder pain ever again. I realize that every situation is different and I know there are a lot of horror stories associated with this surgery, but I have been fortunate to have had a smooth surgery and recovery.
A big thanks to the doctors and nurses that have helped me feel better! I’m forever grateful! Also, big thanks to Cody, Mimi, family, friends, and co-workers that have taken care of me, prayed for me and checked on me! You guys rock!